What types of Dolphins can be seen?
- Spinner Dolphins
- Bottle Nose Dolphins
- Spotted Dolphins
What is the season for whale watching?
Whale watching season for Mirissa is November to April. Even though tours are operated in other months, this season has a higher chance of sightings. If anyone insists you go during the off-season, here none of that. It’d be a waste of your time and money.
However, May-October is the whale watching season in Trincomalee, you might want to try there if you really want to have this experience.
What is the cost?
Cost varies on the operator and boat types, but it generally falls around LKR 3,000 – 6000 per person.
How long will it take?
The allowed time slot for this excursion by the authorities is 5:30 AM to 07:00 PM. Boats spend sometime around 04 to 06 hours on the sea.
Tips for the journey
- Motion sickness is rampant among passengers hence carry medicines for the same. Ask the boat staff if they provide medicine beforehand. Mind you some medication can cause drowsiness.
- Scuba diving along with whales or dolphins is strictly prohibited and dangerous. This requires a special approval from the authorities.
- The closest the ship can get to where whales are is 100m and 50m for dolphins.
- Whatever said and done, sightings are not guaranteed.
- Although provided by operators, bring some snacks and enough water.
- Do not go chasing the cheapest operator; select a one with a decent reputation.